[ros-users] multiple released stacks in git repositories?

Ken Tossell ktossell at umd.edu
Tue Jan 18 23:02:34 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm trying to find out the best way to manage released stacks using
Git. Git's versioning is based on repository-wide tags and branches,
whereas the build system expects to use path-based, stack-specific
tags like in SVN.

It would be nice to keep multiple related stacks in one Git
repository, and I think having just a few branches (master,
unstable_released, cturtle, cturtle_released) for the whole repository
could work, but there's the issue of version tags (stack A would get
tagged along with stack B), and the build system requires the stack to
be at the root of the repository.

Additionally, while a stack maintainer could manually port the changes
in stack_a from the cturtle branch into the cturtle_release branch,
the release scripts would also copy all of the other cturtle stacks
into cturtle_release at the same time.

Has anyone come up with good ROS release practices for Git without
splitting up their repository?

Thanks
 - Ken