[ros-users] Problem with Sparkfun IMU 9D Razor AVR Driver

William McMahan wmcmahan at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Jan 20 23:29:31 UTC 2011

Hey,

Adam, Thanks for writing a ROS wrapper for the sparkfun razor imu.  It's
actually something I was about to start working on.  However, I've been
banging my head against a problem installing your AVRdriver firmware onto
the IMUs and I'd appreciate any assistance you (or the community) might be
able to offer.

Here is the process that I've taken so far. Note that I'm running the a
fully updated version of cturtle on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid (64bit).

1. Plug the IMU via an FTDI board into the USB port of my computer.
2. Open Eclipse and import an existing project into the workspace, pointing
to /rutgers-ros-pkg/imu_9drazor/src
(I've followed your AVR Eclipse installation instructions on the avr_bridge
package documentation.)
3. Build the project.
4. Press the Upload current project to Atmel target MCU

The last step is where I run into a problem, and get the following console
output.

Launching /usr/bin/avrdude -pm328p -carduino -P/dev/ttyUSB0
-Uflash:w:imu_AVRdriver.hex:a
Output:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x1e

avrdude done.  Thank you.

avrdude finished

I think the problem may lie in my selection for AVR Programmer.  I've
selected the Arduino from the Programmer Hardware (-c) option and entered in
/dev/ttyUSB0 into the Overide default port (-P) section.  The Target
hardware is set to ATMega328P with a clock of 8000000.  Do you use the same
AVR programmer settings as I do?  Do you see anything else I'm doing wrong
in this process?

Thanks again,
--Will