[ros-users] Move_base fails

abhy abhy.12354 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 07:57:11 UTC 2011

Hello,

1. We are trying to set a goal from our code as stated in the tutorial.
When we send a goal from other machine, it takes the goal and shows arrow in
the rviz but it does not plan a path to traverse.
When we gave goal from rviz directly it always plans a path.

The code is like below,

goal.target_pose.header.frame_id = "map";
  goal.target_pose.header.stamp = ros::Time::now();

   goal.target_pose.pose.position.x = msg->position.x;
   goal.target_pose.pose.position.y = msg->position.y;
   goal.target_pose.pose.orientation.w = 1.0;

  ROS_INFO("Sending goal");
  ac.sendGoal(goal);

  ac.waitForResult();

  if(ac.getState() == actionlib::SimpleClientGoalState::SUCCEEDED)
    ROS_INFO("Hooray, Goal reached");
  else
    ROS_INFO("The base failed to move");

Also, To give multiple goals one after another we tried to set a ros::ok()
while loop but at first goal itself it does not stop at ac.waitForResult()
and continues loop no matter what the result is.

2. I have another question with AMCL. Do we need to set an initial pose
using PoseWithCovarianceStamped message type? or does it takes a position
initially automatically?
When we executed rviz it sometimes shows pointcloud and sometimes not. when
it is not then manually we have to set a position in rviz.
Or, does it detects robot position automatically using sensor readings and
initiates?

- Abhy