[ros-users] socket error

Arjun akarjun at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 09:46:39 UTC 2011

Hi all,
 I am getting a socket error when I launch my program (which uses openrave).
The launch file launches a single node running on the same machine as the
roscore. I am using Ubuntu 10.10 and my Python install is version 2.6. I did
look up the archives and found that someone else had mentioned this same
problem about a couple of weeks ago and Ken Conley had addressed it. I
followed the advice from Ken Conley in that thread and changed my
.rosinstall file to install from the ros1.2 branch instead just for the ros
stack. This gave me the latest xmlrpc.py file, which I verified with the

Here's the error:
Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method TCPServer.run of
<rospy.impl.tcpros_base.TCPServer object at 0x37a0990>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/aarumbak/ros/ros/core/rospy/src/rospy/impl/tcpros_base.py",
line 141, in run
    (client_sock, client_addr) = self.server_sock.accept()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/socket.py", line 197, in accept
    sock, addr = self._sock.accept()
socket[INFO] 1296375790.973933: Manipulation applet is dying. RIP.
.error: [Errno 4] Interrupted system call

FYI, we run this software on Ubuntu 10.04 and I've never seen this error
before. I got this error on Ubuntu 9.10 before (strangely the problem went
away then) and now in 10.10. Any help would be much appreciated.
-Arjun.