[ros-users] Problem with canonical_scan_matcher

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 22:14:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:05 AM, #TAN ZHI PING# <TANZ0066 at e.ntu.edu.sg>wrote:

>  Hi,
>
> I was trying out my pioneer robot using the canonical scan matcher but i
> realized that the pose2D (odometry) keep on changing despite the fact that
> the robot remained stationary throughout the whole event as shown in the
> link provided below.

Were there any people moving around in the laser scan while the robot was
stationary? When we tried out the polar/canonical scan matchers, we found
that they got confused by people wandering by and interpreted it as robot
motion (which is the best guess the scan matchers can make, but incorrect
for what the robot did). What does the laser scan look like? Is it noisy? If
the laser scan readings are bouncing back and forth (say between two values
on either side of a discretization unit), I could understand the scan
matchers also having some noise in their estimates.

- Eric