[ros-users] how to spawn an object in gazebo

Billy Okal b.okal at jacobs-university.de
Thu Jan 6 14:15:30 UTC 2011

Hi Ali,

To spawn objet in gazebo you need to first have gazebo running by doing this

roslaunch gazebo_worlds empty_world.launch

This should start a gazebo gui. then spawn the object using the

'rosrun gazebo spawn_model -file `pwd`/object.urdf -urdf -z 1 -model
my_object'

as you did before. For more info, look at the tutorials here

http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_gazebo/Tutorials/SpawningObjectInSimulation

Futher, the code segment
<gazebo reference="my_box">
   <material>Gazebo/Blue</material>
</gazebo>

just adds color to the object(my_object in this case). More info on this is
available on the urdf reference here
http://www.ros.org/wiki/urdf/XML under the gazebo elements

best,
billy