[ros-users] Error compiling tutorial

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Tue Jan 11 04:56:26 UTC 2011

Brendan,

On 01/10/2011 05:06 PM, bdoshaughnessy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to ROS and am working my way through the tutorials but I'm receiving
> an error while compiling the cylinder model segmentation example.  I created
> the relevant file "segmentation_cylinder.cpp" in the proper location.  I
> also added the two necessary lines of code to
> /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/point_cloud_perception/pcl/CMakeLists.txt.  The two
> new lines are in bold below.

(off-topic, but could you please try the perception_pcl stack instead? We're trying to identify bugs there in order to
robustify it and make a 1.0 release. Thanks)

> I then run: sudo cmake
> /opt/ros/cturtle/stacks/point_cloud_perception/pcl/CMakeLists.txt
>
> and this error occurs:
>
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:3 (include):
>    include could not find load file:
>
>      /core/rosbuild/rosbuild.cmake
>

> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:6 (rosbuild_init):
>    Unknown CMake command "rosbuild_init".

That doesn't really work, as sudo won't correctly preserve your variables as far as I can tell. A solution is to re-run
your setup.sh. Another solution would be to chmod/chown those files so that your user has write permissions there.

In either case, I would recommend that you don't try that, but instead create a new package and add the tutorial that
you want to compile to that package. Make sure the new package is in your ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, and make it depend on pcl.
The rest should work.

Btw, all the online tutorials are already compiled and provided for you as part of the pcl_tutorials package (in its
newer incarnation, part of perception_pcl_addons)

> I have confirmed that the rosbuild.cmake is in the rosbuild folder.  I have
> also hardcoded the location on the second line and received the same error.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Please use pcl-users at code.ros.org for PCL issues. That should help us centralize similar problems/answers in the
future. Thanks.

Cheers,