[ros-users] ROS driver supporting Sparkfun IMU

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 06:39:27 UTC 2011

We used the Atomic IMU from sfe.  Here is our ROS node:
https://github.com/wjwwood/au-automow/tree/master/au_automow_drivers/atomic_imu

I think we used modified code on the IMU itself and it is here:
http://archive.ausparc.com/svn/automow-elec/Firmware/trunk/IMU%20ReProgram%20Attempts/

That firmware has to be compiled with the student edition of the C/C++
compiler and AVR Studio:
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=2725

I can't guarantee that this will work perfectly, also I remember that we did
some shady things to try and eliminate drift (ignoring all _very_ small
changes, High pass filter).  Also, we adjust the covariance matrix such that
the IMU is weighted more heavily in the Kalman filter at larger turn rates.
 It actually worked quite well with our wheel odometry in the
robot_pose_ekf.

Anyways if you have specific questions about the ROS node or the firmware I
can find answers for you.

Hope this helps,
<https://github.com/wjwwood/au-automow/tree/master/au_automow_drivers/atomic_imu>
William Woodall