[ros-users] How to save basic shapes in PCD files

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Thu Jan 13 01:33:52 UTC 2011

Juan,

Sure, you can easily generate basic shapes and save them into PCD files. However the pcl_visualization methods create 3D
shapes and not 3D point clouds that represent 3D shapes, meaning that a cube will have 8 points representing the
corners, and not thousands of points on its facets, etc.

We do have some methods that either:
  * virtually scan a 3D shape (see the virtual_scanner package)
  * fill in the data evenly on a shape (by iterating over each polygon/triangle and placing points evenly spaced)

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org