[ros-users] expolring the indoor environment without having prior map

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Jan 13 17:32:12 UTC 2011

Safdar,

You can run the navigation stack in conjunction with gmapping, see
http://www.ros.org/wiki/gmapping, to run without a static map. Instead of
running the map_server and amcl, gmapping will provide the map and
localization information to the navigation stack. As far as exploration
goes, there is an exploration stack that uses frontier based exploration,
http://www.ros.org/wiki/exploration, that may serve your needs. However, its
been a long time since I ran the exploration code, so I'm not sure how well
it will really work. You could also, of course, write your own if you find
that it doesn't suit your needs.

Hope this helps,

Eitan