[ros-users] multiple released stacks in git repositories?

Steven Bellens steven.bellens at mech.kuleuven.be
Wed Jan 19 06:43:20 UTC 2011

2011/1/19 Ken Tossell <ktossell at umd.edu>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out the best way to manage released stacks using
> Git. Git's versioning is based on repository-wide tags and branches,
> whereas the build system expects to use path-based, stack-specific
> tags like in SVN.
>
> It would be nice to keep multiple related stacks in one Git
> repository, and I think having just a few branches (master,
> unstable_released, cturtle, cturtle_released) for the whole repository
> could work, but there's the issue of version tags (stack A would get
> tagged along with stack B), and the build system requires the stack to
> be at the root of the repository.
>
> Additionally, while a stack maintainer could manually port the changes
> in stack_a from the cturtle branch into the cturtle_release branch,
> the release scripts would also copy all of the other cturtle stacks
> into cturtle_release at the same time.
>
> Has anyone come up with good ROS release practices for Git without
> splitting up their repository?

The git submodule functionality offers what you need, I think:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-submodule.html

We're currently converting our svn repos to git as well and use the
submodule a lot: all stacks reside in separate repositories, and we
have one global repo which just links to all these repos using git
submodules. Major disadvantage is the fact that you have to use it to
point at a specific commit and you can't point to e.g. a branch or a
tag.

regards,

Steven