[ros-users] Navigation with semantical tags

Dejan Pangercic dejan.pangercic at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:43:50 UTC 2011

Hi Koen,
at TUM we have a semantic mapping system that works on the top of the
2D map and is currently being revamped to make it work online for the
PR2 robot (let me know if you need more info about this).
The outcome of this system has been published as a message of the
following format:
[mod_semantic_map/SemMap]:
Header header
  uint32 seq
  time stamp
  string frame_id
mod_semantic_map/SemMapObject[] objects
  int32 id
  string type
  float32 width
  float32 depth
  float32 height
  float32[] pose
  int32 partOf

The message has been then processed by the knowledge processing system
KnowRob (http://www.ros.org/wiki/knowrob, work by Moritz Tenorth), and
saved as an ontology into an OWL format. The latter is the way in
which KnowRob represents the world.
In order to make use of this stored representation one has to  then
fire up KnowRob's server with the right parametrization (in this case
right semantic map) and query for the classes and/or instances of the
objects in it. There are example clients for c++, java and python in
json_prolog/example package.

If you want to play a bit, you could just visualize the map of TUM's
kitchen by doing the following:
a)install ros-cturtle-client-rosjava
b)install knowrob (http://www.ros.org/wiki/knowrob)
c)compile rosprolog
d)rosrun rosprolog rosprolog mod_vis
e)register ias_semantic_map package: register_ros_package(ias_semantic_map).
f)run visualization module: visualisation_canvas(C).

The last step will open you 2 windows, big one with the map of TUM's
kitchen where you can click on objects and then you will get back
properties of clicked-on objects in the smallish window.

HTH, D.