[ros-users] multiple released stacks in git repositories?

Ken Tossell ktossell at umd.edu
Wed Jan 19 21:13:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Ruben Smits
<ruben.smits at mech.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 January 2011 07:43:20 Steven Bellens wrote:
>> The git submodule functionality offers what you need, I think:

I tried moving one stack to a submodule, and it seemed to work pretty
well except that ros.org didn't see anything in the submod--err,

Now that I look at the logs, I see that gw.willowgarage.com *did*
clone the submodule -- once every five minutes, until three hours
after I removed the submodule and put the stack back into the main
repository. Two hours after that stopped, it began cloning the main
repository twice every five minutes. At some point, the stack
(gps_umd) disappeared from the index. (It's been 16 hours since I
removed the submodule. From my end, all of the clone calls appear to
have been successful.)

>> submodules. Major disadvantage is the fact that you have to use it to
>> point at a specific commit and you can't point to e.g. a branch or a
>> tag.

I thought I might make an on-commit hook for the subrepositories that
would update each of the main repository's submodules and push the new
refs.

> You can perfectly make it point to a specific tag which makes it very easy to
> only include working (release) tags in your global repository.

I saw some discussion of adding this (tag-/branch-tracking submodules)
to Git, but I couldn't find out how to do this with recent releases.

 - Ken