[ros-users] bash specific functionality removed from setup.sh into setup.bash

garratt garrattgallagher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 00:28:43 UTC 2011

Hi Tully,

First off, Is there any chance that there could be some sort of
additional mailing list/RSS feed for announcements like this that change
functionality for most users?  I subscribe to all the mailing lists, and
really important messages like this one tend to get lost in the noise.
Actually, even a [Announcement] tag after the normal [ros-users] might
do...

secondly, I'd like to point out that the output of rosinstall still
says:
"
done. Now, type 'source /somepath/setup.sh' to set up your environment.
Add that to the bottom of your ~/.bashrc to set it up every time.
"
If we are moving to support other shells, shouldn't this be changed? It
would have certainly caught my eye if it was:

Add 'source /somepath/setup.bash' to your ~/.bashrc if you are using
bash shell
add 'source /somepath/setup.zsh' to your ~/.tzrc if you are using zsh
shell (or whatever the config file is named...)

Or, given that you can find which shell is being used, just print the
relevant setup suffix...

thanks,
Garratt