[ros-users] bash specific functionality removed from setup.sh into setup.bash

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 03:49:50 UTC 2011

On 21 January 2011 10:40, Tully Foote <tfoote at willowgarage.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM, garratt <garrattgallagher at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Tully,
>>
>> First off, Is there any chance that there could be some sort of
>> additional mailing list/RSS feed for announcements like this that change
>> functionality for most users?  I subscribe to all the mailing lists, and
>> really important messages like this one tend to get lost in the noise.
>> Actually, even a [Announcement] tag after the normal [ros-users] might
>> do...
>>

> if we put this sort of thing into the ROS.org News Feed would that be a
> good solution?  http://www.ros.org/news/

Actually, could probably use its own feed. The ros.org news feed is closely
followed by most of the people here at our company who are keen ros
observers, but not ros developers. They love to see ros robots and who is
using ros. Posting there would just mean important announcements to
developers on actual ros functionality changes would get lost in a different
kind of noise. Those of us who actually develop with ros here don't actually
follow that feed much as we already know what's going on. It would also
generate unnecessary noise for the ros observers.

secondly, I'd like to point out that the output of rosinstall still