[ros-users] Publishing a vector of point clouds

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 17:43:08 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 7:32 AM, cmuell2s
<christian.mueller at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I stuck at a small problem. I would like to publish a vector/array of
> pcl::PointCloud<pcl::PointXYZ>.
> I couldn't find a sensor_msg or std_msg which would do it, did I
> overlooked sth?

This comes up frequently. In many cases it seems the obvious solution.

Often, problems become apparent on further consideration: who will
read this vector of pointclouds? What operations must be performed on
it?

Frequently, these problems are better solved by republishing some or
all of the original points as a single PointCloud2 with a
categorization field. The data can be sorted on that field for
efficient access, sometimes that occurs naturally as a result of your
algorithm, anyway.
--
 joq