[ros-users] roscreate permissions issue

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Sun Jan 23 19:38:02 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:12 AM, maitri982 <kcramer at sapiosciences.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that the installation issue is solved i am onto the tutorials.  I didn't
> get far before I hit another fun issue.  I am unable to run the
> roscreate-pkg command and it fails due to "permission denied" on the mkdirs
> command.
>
> Seems like a linux permissions issue...not sure what to do.

Yes.  My uninformed guess would be you have navigated into your
system-installed ros-tree and are now trying to add a new package
somewhere that you don't have permissions.  The tutorial stated you
needed to go to your home directory before running it.

Just a heads up, while we try to be as helpful as possible, this forum
is dedicated helping people with ROS problems.  There is a base level
of linux competency we have to assume or else the scope of help would
be far too large.

I understand you are fairly new to linux.  If you are uncomfortable
with the OS, I would recommend that you might try going through some
of the relevant sections from a linux tutorial before you continue.
http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/ looks reasonable.

When all else fails, maybe spend a few minutes re-reading through the
tutorial or trying to google concepts on your own before immediately
asking for help.

Good luck,
--Jeremy