[ros-users] roscreate permissions issue

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Sun Jan 23 23:27:56 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM, maitri982 <kcramer at sapiosciences.com> wrote:

> Well...my first question found an issue with the instructions....so relative
> newbies have there use i suppose.
>
> As for this question, I am in the ROS home directory which you get to via
> issuing the roscd command...

The roscd command takes you to the ROS_ROOT directory, which is not
your home directory.  If you've used a system-wide installation, such
as from the debs, this will be in a restricted read-only part of your
filesystem where you do not have write-permission, hence the failure.

Your "home directory" (usually located at /home/username) in linux can
typically be reached using "cd" or "cd ~".  It is the directory on the
computer where your user does have write permissions.