[ros-users] ROS Wiki: Installation instructions bug

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Jan 24 17:18:18 UTC 2011

Yes, the geometry stack is now using hg.  The same will be true for Diamondback.

If Arch/Gentoo/Fedora/Suse users want to take note, the Diamondback
instructions will need the appropriate 'mercurial' package listed as a
pre-depend, e.g.:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Arch
http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Fedora
http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Slackware
http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/OpenSUSE
http://www.ros.org/wiki/diamondback/Installation/Gentoo

NOTE: the rest of the Diamondback install instructions won't work
until we start spinning the new Diamondback builds.

 - Ken

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Ivan Dryanovski
<ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com> wrote:
> PS: I just tried the same for a cturtle install, and it seemed to go
> through without mercurial. So I'm guessing it's just unstable that
> needs that?
>
> Ivan
>
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Ken Conley <kwc at willowgarage.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the update/fix.
>>
>>  - Ken
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Ivan Dryanovski
>> <ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just tried installing from svn as per the ROS instructions page here:
>>>
>>> http://www.ros.org/wiki/unstable/Installation/Ubuntu/source
>>>
>>> Running this command:
>>>
>>> rosinstall ~/ros
>>> "https://code.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=unstable&variant=base&overlay=no"
>>>
>>> Resulted in the following error
>>>
>>> ERROR: woah, unknown installation method hg not installed, cannnot
>>> create a hg vcs client
>>>
>>> I installed bzr and mercurial, and that fixed the error (I assume it
>>> was just mercurial that was causing the problem). It seems that the
>>> "Setup" stage of the wiki page (and the pages for all other distros)
>>> need to be updated to include that.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Ivan