[ros-users] Odom in rviz

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Mon Jan 24 17:23:43 UTC 2011

Abhy,

Normally, an odometric frame attempts to track the robot's position in the
world, so I wouldn't expect it to show up inside of the robot's body in
rviz. It might start there, but shouldn't remain there over time and it will
drift depending on the accuracy of the sensors used for odometry on your
robot. The map frame is also a global frame and, typically, seeks to account
for the drift the odometric frame experiences using some sort of
localization. So, long story short, I'm not surprised that you're seeing the
"odom" frame outside of the robot body in rviz.

Hope all is well,

Eitan
On Jan 24, 2011 7:47 AM, "abhy" <abhy.12354 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a tf set up like,
> /map->/odom->/base_footprint->/base_link->/base_laser_link
> We are building a map.
> We are taking encoder values from encoder and accordingly planning X, Y,
Yaw