[ros-users] robot_pose_ekf

Wim Meeussen meeussen at willowgarage.com
Thu Jan 27 17:41:32 UTC 2011

Fred,

> It looks like the package combines wheel, visual and imu odometry
> information, but it does not take into account the velocity commands
> sent to the robot when updating the filter ... it instead just updates
> with the Gaussian system model.
>
> Just checking to make sure this is indeed the case, and there's no other
> way the robot commands get in there. The plots on the wiki look like
> this implementation is working quite well ... are commands just not used
> because the system works well enough? I suspect for our robot we'll need
> the additional information in the filter.

You're right, the commands to the wheels are not used by the filter.
The wheel encoders already gives you the _actual_ motion of each
wheel, so the _commanded_ motion of the wheels does not give any
additional information.   So unless you don't have wheel encoders, the
commanded velocity of your robot does not help you get a better pose
estimate.  What exactly is the scenario where you want to use the
robot pose ekf?

Wim

Wim Meeussen
Willow Garage Inc.