[ros-users] Error with *.stl format when using planning_environment and arm_navigation in unstable ROS version

Mrinal Kalakrishnan mail at mrinal.net
Sat Jan 29 01:44:02 UTC 2011

Hi John,

Here's what wikipedia has to say about it:

"Because ASCII STL files can become very large, a binary version of
STL exists. A binary STL file has an 80 character header (which is
generally ignored - but which should never begin with 'solid' because
that will lead most software to assume that this is an ASCII STL
file)."

So assimp may be doing the right thing. But since in the real world
there are plenty of binary STL files floating around that also begin
with "solid", it may be worth supporting.

- Mrinal