[ros-users] debugging nodelets

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Sat Jan 29 20:06:40 UTC 2011

Hi Agusto,

Based on your backtrace it looks like you have a bug in the parseLaserData
method.
"""/home/usad1/workspace/usad/cart/cart/lib/libusad_nodelet.so(_ZN12usad_nodelet22nodelet_LaserPublisher14parseLaserDataERKSs+0xdbc)[0x46e1ec]"""

Nodelets are dynamically loaded into the manager and if a nodelet crashes it
will take down the manager.  A way to isolate any individual nodelet to make
debugging easier is to run it in standalone mode.  You loose the
intraprocess communication, but decrease the number of threads to debug.

Tully

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Augusto Luis Ballardini
<trigal at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have 2 nodelets and some troubles with them: the first nodelet is a
> driver
> for a LaserRangeFinder and it publishes the data (intraprocess, I followed
>
> http://code.google.com/p/utexas-art-ros-pkg/source/browse/trunk/stacks/velodyne/velodyne_common/src/nodelets/driver_nodelet.cc
> this  excellent code) to the other nodelet, which checks if there is
> something close to the referenceframe of the sensor.
> All is working fine but sometimes the nodelet manager crashes (there is the
> log file attached to this post) at runtime.
>
> Does anyone could understand something from the log? How can I debug these
> nodelets? I'm working on eclipse (make eclipse-project and so on) but I
> don't find how to debug nodes other than classic.
>
> http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/file/n2370662/ROS_LIST.txt
> ROS_LIST.txt
>
> Thank you
> Augusto