[ros-users] ROS on Mac-Ubuntu

Lars Kunze lkunze at gmx.net
Mon Jul 4 03:15:40 UTC 2011

Hi Brice,

I am using ROS with Ubuntu which is installed on a separate partition
on my MacBook for a year now and I haven't encountered any problems so
far. Also, the installation of Ubuntu was pretty  straight forward.
Concerning the support of Ubuntu on MacBooks you might want to have a
look at this website: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook

Alternatively, you can install Ubuntu in a virtual machine like
Virtual Box (http://www.virtualbox.org/). I also tried this option
first and it worked pretty well and stable. But if you want to use
some kind of 3D simulation like gazebo you may run into trouble. At
least I couldn't get manage to use it from my virtual installation.

cheers,
Lars