[ros-users] ROS on Mac-Ubuntu

Nathaniel Lewis linux.robotdude at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 03:52:40 UTC 2011

My Installation process for Ubuntu 11.04

When I installed Ubuntu, I did not want to mess with the EFI parts of the
Linux kernel, so I just bootcamped the Mac.  Bootcamp is how you would
generally install windows onto a Mac, as it is BIOS emulation.  Use Mac OSX
to partition the drive using Bootcamp Assistant (
/Applications/Utilities/Bootcamp Assistant.app ) so that you are not worried
about partitioning problems.  Just pop in the Ubuntu installer (I recommend
64 bit because all modern Macs are 64 bit) disk (LiveCD is fine as well) and
hit "Begin Installation" from Bootcamp Assistant after partitioning is
complete.  If you missed this, just reboot the Mac and hold the Option key
(Alt on a PC keyboard) as you turn it on and it will show all boot devices
and click on the CD.  If you have yet to insert the CD, do it now.  From
here just proceed with the normal installation process.  Two important
exceptions though.  When presented with the options for partitioning, click
on "Something Else."  You need to find the partition which was created (It
will be Fat32 and probably the last partition on the disk (/dev/sda3 for
me)) and use that for the root filesystem and format to Ext2,3, or 4.  You
also install grub to the MBR, even though it doesn't actually exist.  To
boot into Ubuntu, hold down Option when you turn the computer on and select
"Windows," even though you installed Linux.  The Mac will remember the last
operating system that was booted and will autoboot that upon restart.  So to
switch back to Mac OSX, you will have to do the above processes again.

Nathaniel Lewis