[ros-users] Announcing rosserial

Dariush Forouher forouher at iti.uni-luebeck.de
Fri Jul 15 22:03:48 UTC 2011

On 15.07.2011 19:36, Michael Ferguson wrote:
> We would like to announce the first release of a new rosserial library
> for the Arduino platform.  The rosserial library allows Arduinos to
> directly publish and subscribe to ROS messages. There are also demos
> ranging from controlling servos to using an Arduino and rxplot as an
> oscilloscope to reading temperature sensors into ROS.
>
> In addition to support integration with the Arduino platform, the
> rosserial library provides a general point-to-point transport for ROS
> communication over serial, which is intended for hardware that cannot
> support the full ROS TCP/IP network stack.  This library can be used to
> easily integrate a wide-variety of low-cost hardware into ROS.

Very interesting, thanks!

Compared to avr_bridge I really like the time synchronization feature
and omiting the code generation process.

I also see that you implemented a tf broadcaster. Your tutorials suggest
to implement a broadcaster of odometry transforms in the atmega. Did you
try this? I'm a bit sceptical of doing trigonometric operations on an
atmega, especially on floats.

I'm currently using avr_bridge and am quite happy with it. I'm doing all
math stuff (integrating odometry velocity over time; creating point
clouds from ultrasound data) in python, however.

ciao
Dariush