[ros-users] Announcing rosserial

Adam Stambler adasta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:59:04 UTC 2011

It does create a new transport called "rosserial" for point to point serial
connections.   The goal was to provide a light weight packet where that
could handle syncing the two end points and multiplexing the topic
communication.  It also has a checksum to for error detection.  However, the
error detection is not used to guarantee is packet received, but rather to
guarantee that an endpoint does not act on a corrupted packet.  It is an
unreliable transport.

All of this is detailed on the
rosserial/Overview<http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosserial/Overview>page.
We are planning to do an API review of both rosserial the transport
and rosserial_arduino and would love some outside input.  If there is
anything you don't like or think could be improved, let us know.

Cheers,
Adam