[ros-users] [Ros-developers] Fwd: rosinstall refactoring

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Thu Jul 21 12:39:36 UTC 2011

Hi Felix,

thanks for the feedback.

As for diff:
No, diff as suggested in the REP runs diff on all SCM (git, svn,
mercurial) controlled directories and gives you the results. So it shows
what files you have modified in all SCM controlled directories mentioned
in your .rosinstall.

What you suggest is something like what aptitude does, asking the user
for confirmation before executing any change. This would be possible
with rosinstall as well, such as a message:
----------------------------
Rosinstall will perform the following changes:
- modify .rosinstall
- modify setup.sh
- svn update foo
- git fetch bar
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]
----------------------------

Or even display a diff on the setup files to change. And aptitude has a
switch "-y Assume that the answer to simple yes/no questions is 'yes'"

There is no such feature in rosinstall today (and was not planned in the
REP, yet).
There are tickets #3492 and #3521 waiting for Tully to comment on, which
would already make rosinstall explain more.

rosinstall currently can change any of the directories it knows under
version control (by running e.g. svn update), as well as the .rosinstall
and setup.* files. One thing you can do is to put your .rosinstall and
setup.* files into a lightweight version control like git that way
creating backups and going back on these files becomes easy.
Though for that, you'd need to know such an SCM well enough and be happy
to use it for that purpose.

regards,
   Thibault