[ros-users] Question about roslaunch and remote processes.

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Jul 25 18:31:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

Good questions.  In the future these are great questions for answers.ros.org.
If you wouldn't mind reasking them there I'd be happy to copy my answers
there too.  That forum provides a easier way to search and browse previously
asked questions.  And helps identify duplicate questions.

Meanwhile, answers inline.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Joan Pau Beltran
<joanpau.beltran at uib.cat>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have to questions about roslaunch and remote processes that seem to
> point some bugs out.
> We are using Diamondback as current release.
>
> Firstly, the output=screen attribute seems to be ignored, since I don't
> get any output with lines like:
> > <launch>
> > <node machine="fugu-c" pkg="memsense_imu" type="imu_node"
> > name="imu_node" output="screen">
> > <rosparam file="$(find fugu_configurations)/imu/params.yaml" />
> > <param name="frame_id" value="imu" />
> > </node>
> > </launch>
> I am sure (because I wrote it myself) that the node is using the
> rosconsole macros for output. According to the wiki, one of the reasons
> to use the macros instead of the standard c++ streams is the possibility
> to get output from remotely launched processes. Does anyone know what
> may be happening?

Console outputs from remote machines are not displayed.  To view the
rosconsole macro outputs I recommend using the rxconsole
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rxconsole It is the best way to take advantage of
the powerful logging macros throughout the system.

> The machine file looks like this:
> > <launch>
> > <machine name="fugu-c" address="fugu-c.local" user="user"
> >     ros-root="/opt/ros/diamondback/ros/"
> >     ros-package-path="/home/user/ros:/opt/ros/diamondback/stacks" />
> > </launch>
>

> And the second one, it seems that the roslaunch mechanism does not
> honour the ROS_HOSTNAME variable for remote machines. In the .bashrc
> file of the remote machine this variable is set to 'fugu-c.local', to
> allow the remote machine name to be resolved properly using Avahi (that
> seems to become quite standard in the latest distributions, this is the
> reason for the .local suffix).
> However when launching the above file, connection is stablished with the
> remote machine, even the core is found if running there, but any node is
> launched. This is the output:
> > started roslaunch server http://10.42.43.1:51495/
> > remote[fugu-c.local-0] starting roslaunch
> > remote[fugu-c.local-0]: creating ssh connection to fugu-c.local:22,
> > user[user]
> > remote[fugu-c.local-0]: ssh connection created
> >
> > SUMMARY
> > ========
> >
> > PARAMETERS
> > MACHINES
> >  * fugu-c
> >
> > NODES
> >   /
> >     imu_node (memsense_imu/imu_node)
> >
> > ROS_MASTER_URI=http://fugu-c.local:11311
> >
> > core service [/rosout] found
> > error launching on [fugu-c.local-0, uri http://fugu-c:39451/]: Name or
> > service not known
> > Launch of the following nodes most likely failed: memsense_imu/imu_node
> Apparently, the uri is computed as the result of the hostname command on
> the remote machine, which returns only 'fugu-c' instead of
> 'fugu-c.local'. I expected that setting the ROS_HOSTNAME would overwrite
> this behaviour (actually it works for finding the remote core). If this
> is a bug or a possible improvement, where should I submmit it? If not,
> any idea on how to handle this? By now, we added the corresponding entry
> to /etc/hosts to overcome the problem, but I would expect a better
> solution.

For the environment variables see this discussion.
https://code.ros.org/lurker/message/20090301.023742.7fc6cb7b.en.html

ROS does expect that your machines are setup correctly to talk to each other
by hostname, setting it in /etc/hosts is a common local patch.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/NetworkSetup

Tully

> Thank you in advance!
>
> --
> Joan Pau Beltran
> Grup de Sistemes, Robòtica i Visió - DMI
> Universitat de les Illes Balears

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer
Willow Garage, Inc.