[ros-users] kforge.ros.org upgrade

Eitan Marder-Eppstein eitan at willowgarage.com
Thu Jun 9 04:21:41 UTC 2011

Hey all,

So, I've just completed upgrading kforge.ros.org from KForge version 0.18 to
what amounts to an RC for 0.19. This upgrade brings with it some exciting
features:

* The site now supports SSH-key-based authentication for svn, git, and hg.
You can still access repositories using https, but this will keep you from
having to type your password all the time or storing it in plain text on
your machine. To add an SSH key, visit the "Your Page" link on the top
navigation bar and click "Add SSH Key." One thing to note is that it will
take around 5 minutes for your key to be activated, so you'll want to wait
at least that long before attempting to check out a repository.

* The web-based browsers for both git and svn have been improved to actually
show useful information whereas before they were pretty useless.

* Users now have the ability to remove themselves from projects if they
choose. Before, this required contacting a project administrator.

* KForge now runs with mod_wsgi for Apache which replaces the deprecated
mod_python. In theory, this should lead to a performance boost, but Hudson
still hits the site pretty hard on occasion, so I'd still expect a
noticeable slowdown when that happens.

* Apache reloads only happen when services are created or edited as opposed
to happening via a cron job. This means that a service can take around 10
seconds to create, but is a lot nicer than restarting apache at random,
sometimes for no good reason.

I think that sums up the major stuff. Please let me know if you run into any
issues, I hope folks enjoy the new features, and there's more to come in the
future.

Hope all is well,

Eitan