[ros-users] manifest.xml license tag

Bill Morris morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu
Thu Jun 16 22:06:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 14:43 -0700, Ken Conley wrote:
> It's a simple addition, but I'm wondering if it is redundant with the
> URL.  i.e. while there is a general URL for the LGPL license, there is
> a specific URL for the 3.0 license:

That is a reasonable solution, but not as machine parseable. I can think
of use cases where someone doesn't want to install GPLed code, but I'm
not sure there is a use case for the version info.

> It seems that the versioned URL should be preferred whenever possible.

This should be included in the best practices section of the REP that
covers licenses.

> A REP on license strings would be a great contribution.  If you're
> curious, I've included a list of known license strings according to
> rosdoc.

This REP would also be a great place to mention best practices regarding
not using GPl or other viral licenses for message definitions.

Should there be a better way of specifying multiple licenses?