[ros-users] RViz on OS X

Serge Stinckwich serge.stinckwich at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 10:12:11 UTC 2011

ok, i made more progress.

I can run rosinstall and then there is a failure with rosrecord (as
described on the wiki page).

When i try to relaunch rosinstall a second time, i have the following
problem:

delirium-tremens:~ serge$ rosinstall ~/ros/ "
http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=diamondback&variant=desktop-full&overlay=no
"
rosinstall operating on /Users/serge/ros from specifications in rosinstall
files  /Users/serge/ros/.rosinstall,
http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=diamondback&variant=desktop-full&overlay=no
Installing https://code.ros.org/svn/ros/stacks/ros/tags/ros-1.4.8  to
/Users/serge/ros/ros
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/rosinstall",
line 557, in <module>
    sys.exit(not rosinstall_main(sys.argv))
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/rosinstall",
line 535, in rosinstall_main
    install_success = config.execute_install(options.backup_changed, mode,
options.robust)
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/rosinstall",
line 277, in execute_install
    if not t.install(os.path.join(self.base_path, backup_path), mode):
  File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/rosinstall",
line 117, in install
    elif self.vcsc.get_url().rstrip('/') != self.uri.rstrip('/'):  #strip
trailing slashes for #3269
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'rstrip'

I have exactly the same problem with another mac os x machine.

Regards,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 4:47 AM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Graduate Software Engineering
> Auburn University
> w at auburn.edu
> wjwwood at gmail.com
> williamjwoodall.com
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Serge Stinckwich <
> serge.stinckwich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I try to do run rosinstall on my mac book pro:
>>
>> delirium-tremens:~ serge$ rosinstall ~/ros/ "
>> http://packages.ros.org/cgi-bin/gen_rosinstall.py?rosdistro=diamondback&variant=desktop-full&overlay=no
>> "
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/rosinstall", line 5, in <module>
>>     pkg_resources.run_script('rosinstall==0.5.16', 'rosinstall')
>>   File
>> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py",
>> line 442, in run_script
>>     self.require(requires)[0].run_script(script_name, ns)
>>   File
>> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/Extras/lib/python/pkg_resources.py",
>> line 1167, in run_script
>>     exec script_code in namespace, namespace
>>   File
>> "/Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/rosinstall-0.5.16-py2.6.egg/EGG-INFO/scripts/rosinstall",
>> line 23, in <module>
>>
>> ImportError: No module named yaml

>> I guess because rosintall do not use the right Python path.
>> How did you install rosinstall ?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 6:00 AM, William Woodall <wjwwood at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> My friends, John and Michael, and I have compiled a guide/troubleshooting
>>> list for getting RViz (and other tools) working on OS X with the latest
>>> diamondback from SVN.  I don't think there is any new information here, but
>>> rather a survey of the common problems encountered.  The main idea is making
>>> ROS build as 32-bit only and using +universal macports everywhere, this
>>> comes from Dave's comment on this ticket:
>>> https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/4788#comment:8
>>>
>>> [image: RViz-on-OSX.png]
>>>
>>> Additionally there are other patches and tricks listed in the
>>> troubleshooting sections, all of which are ticketed and/or fixed in later
>>> SVN revisions, so hopefully this guide won't even be necessary in the near
>>> future, but for now I hope will help some people.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/wjwwood/au-automow/wiki/Ros-osx-i386
>>>
>>> If this seems useful enough to put on the ros.org wiki, I would be glad
>>> to move it if someone would just point to the place.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> William Woodall
>>> Graduate Software Engineering
>>> Auburn University
>>> w at auburn.edu
>>> wjwwood at gmail.com
>>> williamjwoodall.com
>>>

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam

Serge Stinckwich