[ros-users] VSLAM uvc_stereo no autofocus

Daniel Maturana dimatura at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:34:52 UTC 2011

Vslam is based on matching keypoints extracted from the image. Blurriness
from lack of focus makes finding corner or blob-like keypoints and matching
them much harder. So it will almost certainly not work. Not to mention that
the webcams are probably not synchronized, which is crucial unless you're
moving really really slow. I suggest a specialized stereo camera, like the
bumblebee. And it's possible the next iteration of vslam will support the
kinect.

Daniel Maturana