[ros-users] segway_rmp driver and rmp100

William Woodall wjwwood at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 08:45:51 UTC 2011

David, I am actually in the middle of revamping the segway-rmp-ros-pkg to
include support for both usb and serial communication, and in the process I
am changing a lot about the way the node works.  If I remember correctly
there rmp100 series have different constants (for determining wheel speed,
integrated position, etc...) because it has different wheel sizes and such
to the rmp200, I am including an option in my new node to support both the
rmp200/400 and the rmp50/100, but that doesn't exist just yet.

I literally just finished the underlying segway library (
http://williamjwoodall.com/2011/06/21/my-segway-rmp-library-libsegwayrmp/)
and rewrote most of the ROS node today, it should be ready by the end of the
week.

Blocks are _always_ a good idea, the Segway RMP's are very powerful machines
and always command some respect.  I think the IRI test program should warn
you, but I know there are warnings in the comments of the source of the test
program, not that I would expect anyone to look there first.

The ROS node shouldn't move unless messages are being published on the
/cmd_vel topic, but I have not explicitly tested the RMP100 so this might be
new behavior.  If you can wait, the new packages will be out soon, or I am
happy to try and help you debug this version more tomorrow.

Good night,

William Woodall
Graduate Software Engineering
Auburn University