[ros-users] gpsd and gps_umd issues

Bill Morris morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu
Sat Jun 25 05:03:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 16:16 -0400, Sean Anderson wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>

> Between gpsd, gps_client and our garmin gps we have been having a lot
> of issues with outdoor testing. Most recently, we've run into an issue
> where the GPS seems to reset, and come up on a different port, and
> gpsd seems to be unable to reconnect.
>

> Has anyone else had issues in this area? What are others doing to get
> reliable GPS? any packages I don't know about?

I have used the UMD gpsd ROS driver previously without problems. Have
you tried testing with the non ROS based gpsd tools like tangogps? It
sounds like a gpsd problem specific to your hardware, perhaps power
related.

Also, if you have time you should help contribute to the project to help
improve ROS support for geographic tools for things like waypoints.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/geographic_info