[ros-users] wiki errors - IMU

Adam Stambler adasta at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 05:50:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am the original author of that driver.  I published that driver before I
had a chance to use the sensor extensively.

The AHRS code running on the IMU isnt quite robotics grade yet.  It doesnt,
for example, calibrate for the soft/hard iron errors in the compass.  This
can cause huge trouble when trying to use it.  This causes it to get really
erroneous readings when there is magnetic interference.  Even having the USB
plug too close to the magnetometer can cause crazy yaw readings.

We have been experimenting with some calibration code to improve the AHRS
code, but right now its not ready to be released.  So for now I took down
the driver until the original IMU code can be rewritten.

Anyway, that wiki page is taken down.  Thanks for catching that.

Regards,
Adam