[ros-users] Playing huge (kinect) bag files: rosbag vs rxbag issues

Ivan Dryanovski ivan.dryanovski at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 14:41:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a 3GB monster of a bag file, containing about 30 seconds of
Kinect data. It has an average of 15 VGA frames of rgb point cloud
data per second. I am trying to play it back on my desktop, and
visualizing the data in rviz. When I use the "rosbag play" (either
from the command line or launch file" I get very poor results - barely
1 frame per second coming out of the bag. However, when I open the bag
file with rxbag, enable the publishing option, and play it back from
there, I get acceptable results.

I noticed that random fiddling with the "delay" and "queue" flags of
"rosbag play" seems to improve performance, but I'm not sure what an
optimal combination is.

Can anyone, a) explain this discrepancy, b) share their tips about
bagging and playing kinect data?

Thanks,
Ivan