[ros-users] Calculating height of objects in 3D point clouds

gee [via ROS-Users] ml-node+2605228-1515120503-373642 at n3.nabble.com
Tue Mar 1 18:22:50 UTC 2011

Sorry about the information i missed in my last post. I have already
transformed the camera data to world coordinates considering the tilt and
other external parameters.  But the problem is how do i calculate length,
breadth or height of individual segments from their associated point cloud.

As i have a grid of points for each segment i need to know how to consider
these points to calculate length, breadth or height.
For e.g., if a segment is such that it is directly facing the camera, to
know its height, it is sufficient to calculate the distance between the
points on the top most row and the bottom most row of the segment. The
points which are in between need not be considered.

obviously this heuristic works for a special case. I would like to know if
there is a more general way to address this issue.

I haven't considered kinect yet.

http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/Calculating-height-of-objects-in-3D-point-clouds-tp2600855p2605228.html
This email was sent by gee (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion: http://ros-users.122217.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=subscribe_by_code&node=2600855&code=cm9zLXVzZXJzQGNvZGUucm9zLm9yZ3wyNjAwODU1fC0xMTE1OTY4OTkw