[ros-users] move_arm, motion_planner, mechanism_controllers, ... lost :S

Antons Rebguns anton at email.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 4 17:51:19 UTC 2011

Ugo,

> I'll be happy to! Where are you at regarding the grasping pipeline?

Well, I cac plan trajectories and execute them, I can segment objects
from the floor and I hooked up OpenRAVE grasp planning to figure out
the grasp pose for the gripper. Looking at the object_manipulator
package I think I have all the required components that need to put
together. Is that the package you are using?

> Things are not yet completely clear in my mind regarding the grasping
> pipeline, so I haven't written a tutorial. But it's definitely in my todo
> list.
>
> Regarding my previous questions, I was in fact missing the opml_planning. I
> added it and it is now closer to be working ;)

Good, glad to hear that. There's one problem I had with OMPL, that
took me a few hours to figure out. It was always failing to plan
saying that my current pose is in collision, which it definitely
wasn't. It turned out it thought that 2 links of the arm were in
collision even though they are pretty far away in that configuration.
I had to disable collision checks between these two links. If anybody
has an idea what might be happening there I'd like to hear it. Maybe
there's a way to visualize the collision meshes that OMPL uses to
figure out if current state is in collision.

Anyway, you might not see that at all :)

Thanks,
Anton