[ros-users] move_arm, motion_planner, mechanism_controllers, ... lost :S

Sachin Chitta sachinc at willowgarage.com
Fri Mar 4 17:56:28 UTC 2011

Hi Ugo,

Move arm indeed is generic and was designed to work with any arm. The only
command output that is pr2 dependent is the action addressing the trajectory
controller, so if you implement something for that it should work. Don't use
the ik_constrained planner, it is now outdated.

I will fix and release the generic_kinematics package if you are happy with
it so far.

I would recommend using ompl as your planner. I just released a new version
of ompl_ros_interface into unstable. It replaces the old ompl_ros and
ompl_planning packages for interfacing with the new ompl package from Rice (
http://ompl-beta.kavrakilab.org/). I will be putting in more tutorials for
the new package as the days go by and will help you get it running on your
arm - I intend to use this as a example/use-case for the tutorials as well.

Regards,
Sachin

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm getting more and more lost trying to implement the move_arm properly,
> so sorry in advance if my questions are a bit messy.
>
> At first I duplicated the move_arm package and completely modified it for
> my arm. It kind of worked but it didn't seem like a good solution, as
> move_arm seems to be very generic:
> The only command output from this package seem to be a
> pr2_controllers_msgs::JointTrajectoryAction. So if I implement my own *
> joint_trajectory_action_controller.cpp*, which is a
> SimpleActionServer<pr2_controllers_msgs::JointTrajectoryAction>, to move my
> arm, will it work?
>
> To use the generic move_arm package, I'm still missing a motion_planner (I
> think). Should I try to use the ompl_planner or the ik_constrained_planner
> or something else? When I'm trying to compile the ik_constrained_planner
> it's failing to build due to the generic_kinematics overlay (from
> https://code.ros.org/svn/wg-ros-pkg/stacks/kinematics/branches/generic_kinematics).
>

> Hope you can give me some hints on what I am doing wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ugo
>
> --
> Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

Sachin Chitta
Research Scientist
Willow Garage