[ros-users] move_arm, motion_planner, mechanism_controllers, ... lost :S

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Fri Mar 4 18:23:30 UTC 2011

Hi Antons,

Yes, it does look like you have all components in. Let us know what
kind of problems you run into when integrating them in the
PickupAction that the manipulation pipeline serves, we should be able
to help and then hopefully fix any wrinkles in the upcoming
manipulation releases for diamondback. Anything that you find
counter-intuitive or unclear will help is write better documentation
and clearer API's.

What hand are you using?

Best,
Matei

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Ugo Cupcic <ugo at shadowrobot.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Antons Rebguns <anton at email.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> Ugo,
>>
>> > I'll be happy to! Where are you at regarding the grasping pipeline?
>>
>> Well, I cac plan trajectories and execute them, I can segment objects
>> from the floor and I hooked up OpenRAVE grasp planning to figure out
>> the grasp pose for the gripper. Looking at the object_manipulator
>> package I think I have all the required components that need to put
>> together. Is that the package you are using?
>
> Yes I'm using that package. You seem to have everything ready for
> integration then!
>
> If you do some object recognition after your segmentation, you should also
> probably have a look at the household_objects node.
>>
>> > Things are not yet completely clear in my mind regarding the grasping
>> > pipeline, so I haven't written a tutorial. But it's definitely in my
>> > todo
>> > list.
>> >
>> > Regarding my previous questions, I was in fact missing the
>> > opml_planning. I
>> > added it and it is now closer to be working ;)
>>
>> Good, glad to hear that. There's one problem I had with OMPL, that
>> took me a few hours to figure out. It was always failing to plan
>> saying that my current pose is in collision, which it definitely
>> wasn't. It turned out it thought that 2 links of the arm were in
>> collision even though they are pretty far away in that configuration.
>> I had to disable collision checks between these two links. If anybody
>> has an idea what might be happening there I'd like to hear it. Maybe
>> there's a way to visualize the collision meshes that OMPL uses to
>> figure out if current state is in collision.
>>
>> Anyway, you might not see that at all :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anton

>> > --
>> > Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
>> > Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
>> > need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
>> > http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

> Ugo Cupcic | Shadow Robot Company | ugo at shadowrobot.com
> Software Engineer | 251 Liverpool Road |
> need a Hand? | London N1 1LX | +44 20 7700 2487
> http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/ @shadowrobot

Matei Ciocarlie
Research Scientist
Willow Garage Inc.