[ros-users] Multi-robot administration interface

Jeff Rousseau jrousseau at aptima.com
Wed Mar 16 13:18:30 UTC 2011

Are you asking if anyone is using multi-touch tables together with ROS,
or if there is just a general framework for controlling multiple robots?
I don't have any info on the former but the latter seems to be in progress:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/Projects/Building%20Manager

The prereq for controlling multiple robots being "multi-master" support
(there are several partial implementations of this already--google for
ros zenmaster and ros relay).  I believe the Building Manager project
aims to come up with a full multi-master solution.

As far as the Surface SDK goes, it's basically just an extension of WPF
to support some fancy widgets (ScatterView, etc).  Using the Surface SDK
requires a Surface though, so unless you already have one I'd go a
different route.  Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu have some support for
multi-touch (and some multi-touch monitors can be had for _relatively_
cheap):

Win7:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd562197(v=vs.85).aspx
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd562197%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

Ubuntu 10.10:
https://launchpad.net/utouch-geis
http://people.canonical.com/~stephenwebb/geis-v2/
<http://people.canonical.com/%7Estephenwebb/geis-v2/>

Of course if you do go the Windows route, you'll have the headache of
trying to write ROS code in Windows (support for this exists, but only
partially)

Jeff

On 3/16/2011 6:48 AM, Victor Lopez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning on developing a multi-robot adminstration interface, and
> I've come across this video:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOziHgQedA&feature=related
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOziHgQedA&feature=related>
>
> Is there anything similar under development in ROS? Do you know any
> other companies that provide software similar to Microsoft Surface?
>
> Regards
>
> P.S: This was sent to ros-developers but maybe it belongs to ros-users
> because it's not a technical question. Apologies for the spam, I
> wasn't sure about where to post it.
> --
> Víctor López Boya
> Software Engineer
> Pal Robotics S.L.
>
> Tel: +34.93.414.53.47
> Fax: +34.93.209.11.09
> C/ Pujades 77-79 4º 4ª 08005 Barcelona, Spain.
> http://www.pal-robotics.com/
>

> AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos,
> pueden contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está
> dirigida exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted recibe este
> mensaje y no es el destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de
> su entrega a dicha persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y
> remita el mensaje original a la dirección de correo electrónico
> indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o distribución no autorizados de esta
> comunicación queda estrictamente prohibida.
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s)
> may contain confidential information which is privileged and intended
> only for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you
> are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail and/or
> accompanying document(s) is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
> this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender at the
> above e-mail address.
>

> --
> Víctor López Boya
> Software Engineer
> Pal Robotics S.L.
>
> Tel: +34.93.414.53.47
> Fax: +34.93.209.11.09
> C/ Pujades 77-79 4º 4ª 08005 Barcelona, Spain.
> http://www.pal-robotics.com/
>

> AVISO DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este mensaje y sus documentos adjuntos,
> pueden contener información privilegiada y/o confidencial que está
> dirigida exclusivamente a su destinatario. Si usted recibe este
> mensaje y no es el destinatario indicado, o el empleado encargado de
> su entrega a dicha persona, por favor, notifíquelo inmediatamente y
> remita el mensaje original a la dirección de correo electrónico
> indicada. Cualquier copia, uso o distribución no autorizados de esta
> comunicación queda estrictamente prohibida.
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and the accompanying document(s)
> may contain confidential information which is privileged and intended
> [...]

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.