[ros-users] ROS driver supporting Sparkfun IMU

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 14:50:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Jeff Rousseau <drzaiusx11 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Just a thought, but make sure that /dev/ttyUSB0 is actually the razor.
> I'd be careful doing a symlink from USB0 to /dev/imu unless you really
> only have a single usb serial device in your system.  I have 3 on my
> robot, so I just created some udev scripts like shown on the hokyo
> tutorial:
>

> http://www.ros.org/wiki/hokuyo_node#Using_udev_to_Give_Hokuyos_Consistent_Device_Names

For an example udev script that will assign a unique device name to an FTDI
chip (which is what does serial->usb for the Sparkfun IMU), see
http://answers.ros.org/question/65/how-can-i-get-a-unique-device-path-for-my .
You could then symlink /dev/imu to that unique device path and be 100% sure
that /dev/imu is definitely the IMU, regardless of how many other ttyUSB
devices you have or the order they were plugged in in.

- Eric