[ros-users] Progress in rviz on OSX

David Rajaratnam daver_ml at gemarex.com.au
Mon Mar 21 22:43:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

Just thought I'd report back on my attempts at getting rviz running under OSX. Previously I reported that I successfully had it running on OSX. Unfortunately that was a bit premature on my part :(. I'm still a newbie on ros so hadn't really gotten to the point of trying to do something useful (maybe I first should have gotten familiar with ros running on ubuntu before looking at osx!).

Anyway, rviz is not seg faulting which is definitely a good thing :). However, the main Ogre display window is opening in its own toplevel X window with the title "OgreRenderWindow1". While this window is being actively updated with whatever is happening (maps,etc), however it cannot be moved into the foreground. Moving the mouse over the window makes the cursor change to the osx busy spinning wheel cursor.

I'll keep trying to work out what is going on (whenever I have a spare moment). However, not being particularly familiar with any of WxWidgets, Ogre, OSX development, and lots of other things, I'm not holding my breath that I'll make much progress any time soon.

Cheers,
Dave