[ros-users] Compiling ROS with Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty)

Markus Eich markus.eich at dfki.de
Tue May 3 20:41:36 UTC 2011

Dear all,

I am facing a problem with compiling the ROS sources under Natty.

While building the opencv2 package, I got the following linking error:

==============================
Linking CXX static library ../../lib/libopencv_haartraining_engine.a
[ 80%] Built target opencv_haartraining_engine
Scanning dependencies of target opencv_createsamples
[ 80%] Building CXX object
modules/haartraining/CMakeFiles/opencv_createsamples.dir/createsamples.o
Linking CXX executable ../../bin/opencv_createsamples
../../lib/libopencv_highgui.so.2.2.0: undefined reference to
`cvCreateCameraCapture_V4L(int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/opencv_createsamples] Fehler 1
make[1]: ***
[modules/haartraining/CMakeFiles/opencv_createsamples.dir/all] Fehler 2

It seems it has to do with the linking of V4L. I have the lib4vl-dev
package installed.
According to my prior web search there seems to be the issue that V4L
has moved out of the kernel source.

Do you have any clues?

Cheers,

Markus