[ros-users] ROS packages size after serialization

Josep Arnau Claret Robert jsprnclrtrbrt at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 16:32:21 UTC 2011

Dear comrades:

As in our lab we are discussing about the size of the messages in the subscribers and publishers, transported through our local network, we arrived to the question on how big really is (in bytes, lets say) the ROS message after the serialization. As i guess its quite a generic question to answer, as it may depend on the kind of message you are sending, I was wondering wether anyone has done any study in that direction or knows any specific cases.

I know the "roscpp/Overview/MessagesSerializationAndAdaptingTypes" ros wiki, but i wondered if there is any specific resource where the serialization is deeply explained.

Thx in advance.

Josep.