[ros-users] call for an official ROS USB camera package

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:25:39 UTC 2011

I would like to re-open this discussion...

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Jack O'Quin <jack.oquin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it would help for the ROS community to support an official
> usb_camera package, like we did for camera1394. The potential user
> base is large.
>
> There seem to be several good drivers available in various
> repositories. Paradoxically, that can make it harder for users to
> decide which to use. A combined, fully documented and reviewed
> implementation would make that easier and save time for most camera
> users.
>
> If Eric, Ken, or someone else knowledgeable about these devices would
> be willing to do the technical work, I can help move it through the
> release review process. Maybe we could get it done in time for
> inclusion in Diamondback. Although this is late in the release cycle,
> no other core ROS components depend on it.

We started a little too late for Diamondback. But, there is still time
for the next ROS distribution, Electric Emys. Much of the work will be
getting reviews and documentation done in time for the camera_drivers
feature freeze in early July.

But, several knowledgeable people have expressed a willingness to
help. I believe if we get behind it now we can add a fully-supported
USB camera driver to the "official" camera_drivers stack.

Is there any general agreement yet on which of the several USB camera
driver packages we should use as a starting point? Please respond with
pointers to packages to be considered.
--
 joq