[ros-users] Is scan_tools maintained ?

Willy Lambert lambert.willy at gmail.com
Wed May 11 14:01:20 UTC 2011

2011/5/11 Bill Morris <morris at ee.ccny.cuny.edu>

> On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 15:32 +0200, Willy Lambert wrote:
> > Hi every body,
> >
> > I played with scan tools (http://www.ros.org/wiki/scan_tools) with
> > success on some point, failure on other. Is this stack still
> > maintained ? I have seen a last documentation edition at late 2010.
> > Related question : is it the rigth stack to do "laser odometry" ? Is
> > the the nav stack that is doing this ?
>
> It is being maintained, but I'm not sure what state it is in at the
> moment. If you have a specific question you can post on answers or email
> me or Ivan, but things are pretty busy here until after ICRA and finals.
>
> scan_tools has a some scan manipulation tools and the scan matchers can
> be used to estimate your pose if you don't have wheel odometry.

thanks for answering.

I have ("bad") odometry but I want to fusion the data to have a better
precision. I tryied the canonical_scan_matcher with success. Doesn't seem to
as easy to do the same with polar_scan_matcher which is more relunctant to
launch.
I'll post on answer.org for precise question. This mail was just to be sure
I wasn't speaking to wall ;) First question there
http://answers.ros.org/question/905/what-is-the-difference-between

BTW I am quite impressed of the precision out of the box of the
canonical_scan_matcher.