[ros-users] Installation problems on Fedora

Peter Soetens peter at thesourceworks.com
Thu May 12 13:10:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Anders Nilsson <andersn at control.lth.se> wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 May 2011 17.06.27 Peter Soetens wrote:
>>On Wednesday 11 May 2011 13:03:45 Anders Nilsson wrote:
>> > $ rosmake orocos_toolchain_ros
>> > [ rosmake ] Packages requested are: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
>> > [ rosmake ] Logging to
>> > directory/home/andersn/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20110511-125311
>> > [ rosmake ] Expanded args ['orocos_toolchain_ros'] to:
>> > []
>> > [ rosmake ] WARNING: The following args could not be parsed as stacks or
>> > packages: ['orocos_toolchain_ros']
>> > [ rosmake ] ERROR: No arguments could be parsed into valid package or
>> > stack names.
>>
>> You're almost there. You need to put the orocos_toolchain_ros in your ros
>> package path. for example:
>>
>> cd orocos_toolchain_ros
>> export ROS_PACKAGE_PATH=$ROS_PACKAGE_PATH:$(pwd)
>>
>> Most people have a $HOME/ros directory and put that directory in the path
>> above and build all ros related software inthere.
>>
>> Then try rosmake again.
>
> And then it (sort of) works, thanks. There are still some bumps in the way,
> though:
>
> 1. Need to give --rosdep-install option in order to (try to) resolve
> dependencies:
> $ rosmake --rosdep-install orocos_toolchain_ros
>
> 2. Doesn't compile on Fedora 13 due to lack of available antlr-C++ package.
> Moved on to a Fedora 14 machine instead.

We're trying to get rid of antlr. It's no longer required but someone needs to
change the code such that it works without...

> 3. Had to install xerces-devel manually as --rosdep-install wouldn't do it.

Xerces is optional. Did some build fail because it was lacking ?

> 4. Missing dependency on omniorb, which of course is not supplied in the usual
> fedora repositories. Dug out installable rpm:s from
> http://www.openrtm.org/pub/Linux/Fedora/releases/14/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/omniORB-4.1.4-4/

omniorb is kind-of optional if you don't tend to build use the corba
bindings. We enabled it because
more ros users wanted to use it too, for being able to supervise the
Orocos components with the
TaskBrowser...

> 5. Manually install rubygem-hoe. Unfortunately it dosen't help:
> [rosmake-2] Starting >>> rtt_rospack [ make ]
> [ rosmake ] All 10 linescl: 0.3 sec ] [ orogen: ... [ 3 Active 41/53 Complete
> ]
> {-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  rake
>  (in /opt/orocos_toolchain_ros/orogen)
>  WARN: cannot load the Hoe gem, or Hoe fails. Publishing tasks are disabled
>  WARN: error message is: No such file or directory - History.txt
>  WARN: cannot load RDoc, documentation generation disabled
>  WARN:   no such file to load -- rdoc/task
>  cannot load oroGen: no such file to load -- typelib_ruby
>    did you install Typelib's Ruby bindings and update the RUBYLIB environment
> variable accordingly ?
>    did you add /opt/orocos_toolchain_ros/orogen/lib to RUBYLIB ?
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------}
> [ rosmake ] Output from build of package orogen written to:
> [ rosmake ]
> /root/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20110512-144823/orogen/build_output.log
> [rosmake-1] Finished <<< orogen [FAIL] [ 0.33 seconds ]
> [ rosmake ] Halting due to failure in package orogen.
> [ rosmake ] Waiting for other threads to complete.
> [rosmake-2] Finished <<< rtt_rospack [PASS] [ 2.80 seconds ]
> [rosmake-0] Finished <<< ocl [PASS] [ 21.79 seconds ]
> [ rosmake ] Results:
> [ rosmake ] Built 44 packages with 1 failures.
> [ rosmake ] Summary output to directory
> [ rosmake ] /root/.ros/rosmake/rosmake_output-20110512-144823
>

>> > And there I'm stuck.
> Again.

I think not all of required ruby tools is installed on your system...
Which ruby version
do you have ( ruby --version)  and which version of 'gem' ( gem --version ) ?
It should work in the end since I know at least one Orocos/ROS user running
everything on Fedora.

Peter