[ros-users] tf spits a lookup exception

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon May 16 04:11:17 UTC 2011

Hi Dimitar,

I expect that this error comes from improper usage of the library in your
code.  I suggest that you isolate it down to as small a test case as you can
reproduce and ask it on answers.ros.org.  If it is determined to be a bug
then a ticket can be filed to fix it.

Tully

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Dimitar Simeonov <
simeonov.dimitar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm not sure whether this is better asked at answers.ros.org, but since it
> looks like a bug I'm sending it here
>
> I'm using the tf package and specifically the tf.TransformerROS class in
> Python.
> If I try calling its methods transformPose or transformPointCloud it
> returns a LookupException
>
>     tf.LookupException: Frame id /map does not exist! When trying to
> transform between /base_link and /map.
>
> However if I try running the tf_monitor right after that I see that tf has
> knowledge of the frame
>
>     ~>rosrun tf tf_monitor base_link map
>     Waiting for transform chain to become available between /base_link and
> /map
>
>     RESULTS: for /base_link to /map
>     Chain is: /base_link -> /base_footprint -> /odom_combined -> /map
>     Net delay     avg = 0.00684423: max = 0.054
>
>     Frames:
>     Frame: /base_footprint published by /robot_pose_ekf Average Delay:
> 0.0185 Max Delay: 0.026
>     Frame: /base_link published by /robot_state_publisher Average Delay:
> 0.0075 Max Delay: 0.008
>     Frame: /odom_combined published by /slam_gmapping Average Delay: 0 Max
> Delay: 0
>
>     All Broadcasters:
>     Node: /robot_pose_ekf 33.5196 Hz, Average Delay: 0.0185 Max Delay:
> 0.026
>     Node: /robot_state_publisher 55.5556 Hz, Average Delay: 0.0075 Max
> Delay: 0.008
>     Node: /slam_gmapping 25 Hz, Average Delay: 0 Max Delay: 0
>
> I'm running gazebo simulation and have ROBOT=sim set.
>
> Best,
> Dimitar

Tully Foote
Systems Engineer